Vote With Pride! 2020 General Election
Make Sure Your Vote is Counted
Happy LGBTQIA+ History Month! (Reminder that this Sunday is National Coming Out Day!)
As ballot start arriving we wanted to make sure that everyone had the tools to make sure they are able to vote and that their vote is counted. Here is a video that will give you that information.
Power Point Presentation: http://bit.ly/LGBT2020GenElection
Where to find the nearest Places of Deposit & Voter Service Centers: https://elections.hawaii.gov/voter-service-centers-and-places-of-deposit/
More information on How to Vote: https://hawaiidemocrats.org/voteblue2020/
2020 General Election Dates
October 16 – Ballots received to every registered voter – Office of Elections announced that ballots will be mailed on the following dates:
- City and County of Honolulu: October 5 & 6, 2020
- County of Hawai’i: October 7, 2020
- County of Maui: October 8, 2020
- County of Kaua’i: October 9, 2020
October 20 through Election Day, November 3 – Voter Service Centers open & Places of Deposit available – Click here for the locationsNovember 3 – General Election Day (VSC open 7:00 am – 7:00 pm) & all mailed ballots MUST BE RECEIVED by 7:00 pm
An updated list of the LGBT Caucus Endorsements & Statements of Support are at the bottom of this email.
Support Biden-Harris in Battle Ground States
We need YOUR help now more than ever in reaching LGBTQIA+ and pro-equality voters in battleground states to ensure Vice President Joe Biden and Senator Kamala Harris are victorious in November.
The shift is EVERY Tuesday from 12:00 – 2:00 PM (Hawaii Time) ONLY THREE (3) Tuesdays left and you can do it from the safety of your own home. You don’t have to do the entire 2 hours, even 30 minutes can make a big difference.
Click here to sign-up: https://www.mobilize.us/joebiden/event/312232/
2020 Candidate Surveys
The candidates that were successful and moved onto the General Election have their responses available here.
October LGBT Caucus Meeting
At our October meeting – Saturday, October 17, 2020 at 3:00 PM – please notice the change in time we will be having the elections of the Caucus Officers and other Steering Committee members. We will send out the Zoom link with the self-nominations. To help assist with the running of the elections and to ensure all the members have a chance to get to know who is running for office we are requiring this nomination form to be filled out and submitted by 5:00 pm on Sunday, October 11, 2020 HST (National Coming Out Day). Responses will be emailed out to the members by the end of Monday, October 12.
Please complete this form to self nominate for any of the following Officer or Steering Committee positions – Chair, Vice-Chair, Secretary, Treasurer, County Representative (1 each for Kaua’i, Maui & Hawai’i counties) or At-Large Member (2 positions).
We are also requiring a written statement stating:
A. Demonstrated involvement and active participation with the LGBT Caucus meetings and/or LGBT Caucus activities; and
B. Commitment to attend the LGBT Caucus General meetings as well as the Steering Committee meetings.
Nominations will be only be accepted from the floor if no one has self-nominated for that position.
Reminder that to be able to run for any of these positions that you must have been a member of the LGBT Caucus for at least three (3) months by Saturday, October 17, 2020.
LGBT Caucus 2021 Legislative Priorities
- Getting the State to fund/secure Homeless Youth Shelters across the State (homeless unaccompanied minors)
- Expanding gender markers on birth certificates
- Health centers for the neighbor islands that include mental health services with access for LGBTQIA+ (youth & adult)
- Removal of statute of limitations for survivors of sexual abuse as children
- Allowing minors to access health care for HIV & PrEP without parental consent
- Establish the Hawaii State Commission on the Status of the LGBTQ+ Community
Mahalo nui loa!
Michael Golojuch, Jr. (He/Him/His)
LGBT Caucus of the Democratic Party of Hawai’i
Ways to Help Our Candidates
- Vote for them, if you are able
- Donate, if you are able
- Ask your friends and family in their district to vote for the candidates
- Contact the campaign and volunteer to make phone calls and support their campaign activities
- Share the LGBT Caucus and the campaign social media posts supporting their candidacy
LGBT CAUCUS ENDORSEMENTS
2020 General Election
Joe Biden for President & Kamala Harris for Vice President of
the United State of America
Watch/Listen to the:
Recording of Kai Kahele’s meeting with the LGBT Caucus
- Joy San Buenaventura (Senate District 2)
- Gil Keith-Agaran (Senate District 5)
- Stanley Chang (Senate District 9)
- Jeanné Kapela (House District 5)
- Tina Wildeberger (House District 11)
- Keith Kogachi (House District 17)
- Jackson Sayama (House District 20)
- Adrian Tam (House District 22) – Adrian is a member of Hawaii’s LGBTQIA+ community and he will be facing the founder of the Hawaii chapter of the “Proud Boys” a white supremacy based organization.
- Trish LaChica (House District 36)
- Ryan Yamane (House District 37)
- Michael Chapman (House District 45)
- Lisa Marten (House District 51)
County Races (* = Statements of Support)
- Mason Chock – County Council*
- Felicia Cowden – County Council*
- KipuKai Kuali’i – County Council* – KipuKai is currently the only out LGBTQIA+ elected official. He is a fighter for justice and equality and deserves to be re-elected!
City & County of Honolulu
- Keith Amemiya – Mayor – click here for the recording of Keith’s meeting with the LGBT Caucus.
- Steve Alm – Honolulu Prosecutor*
- Will Espero – Council District 9
- Jacob Aki – Council District 7*