Run For Office or Run A Campaign!
Want to RUN for Office or
RUN a Campaign?
Victory Institute Fellowship & Trainings
May LGBT Caucus Meeting Info
Are you interested in running for office or serving as a campaign manager?
The Victory Institute is offering the Victory Empowerment Fellowship, a fellowships are for LGBTQIA+ people of color who are interested in running for political office or serving as a campaign manager (no specific timeline required). The Victory Institute will provide each fellow with complimentary registration to Victory Institute’s Candidate & Campaign Training and the International LGBTQ Leaders Conference. Each fellow is also matched with two (2) elected officials that serve as their mentors for the duration of the program.
Applications for 2021 are due May 30th – if you planning on applying and would like recommendation please email me at email@example.com.
For anyone who may not be interested in the fellowship, the Victory Institute is actively accepting applications for the Candidate & Campaign Trainings, as well.
Western Regional Bootcamp
FREE – Western Regional Bootcamp is being offered by the National Training Democratic Committee on Sunday, May 16th from 7:00 am – 2:00 pm HST. Registration is required.
During the regional bootcamp candidates/potential candidates will be able to choose between different sessions based on where they are in their journey, network with other similar candidates, and work to become better prepared to run for office. Click here for more information and to register.
2021 Legislative Recap
The LGBTQIA+ focused bills and resolutions that passed this session:
- HB 282 – Emergency shelters for unaccompanied minors (LGBT Caucus Priority when the 2021 session started, our complete list is at the bottom of this email);
- HB 1096 – Parentage Taskforce to address the needs of LGBTQIA+ parents dealing the birth certificate;
- HB 1107 – To help address cyber bullying; &
- HCR 162 – Requires DHS, PSD, DOH, DOE & Judiciary to create a plan to account for LGBTQIA+ youth in the different state systems
As usual the Caucus supported other bills and resolutions and for a complete listing of the ones that survived till Conference please review the LGBT Caucus Bill & Resolution Report.
We are going to be offering a training on June 7th at 6:00 pm called “Sine Die – Now What”. The training is open to any member of the Democratic Party of Hawai’i and it will cover what one needs to do now that the legislative session is over and what to do to prepare for the 2nd year of the biennium. To register for the training click here.
Vice Chair Openings
Reminder as stated in a previous email we now are accepting self-nominations for the following positions (job descriptions are in the application form):
- 1st Vice-Chair of the LGBT Caucus;
- Vice-Chair for Membership;
- Vice-Chair for Communications; &
- Vice-Chair for Fundraising
Requirements to apply for any of these four (4) positions:
- Fill out this application form. (All information provided is for internal use only and will only be shared with the Steering Committee members.)
- Be a Member of the Democrat Party of Hawai’i:
- Member of the LGBT Caucus: (reminder that just because you are receiving this email does not guarantee that you are an enrolled member of the Caucus);
- Registered voter in the state of Hawai’i ( Individuals that are not registered to vote in the state of Hawai’i can be appointed but according the Bylaws of the Democratic Party of Hawai’i will become a non-voting member of the Steering Committee. )
The nomination process is as follows:
ALL applications are due by 11:59 pm HST on May 16, 2021.
All completed applications will then be reviewed by the entire Steering Committee and they will vote on these appointments.
Should you have any questions about the process please respond to this email.Click here to apply.
May Caucus Meeting Info
- A registered voter in the state of Hawai‘i,
- An enrolled member of the Democratic Party of Hawai‘i, AND
- A member of the LGBT Caucus
Caucus Name Change Survey
If you have not already done so please complete the Name Change Survey – click here to fill out the survey. Feel free to share the survey with other members of the LGBTQIA+ community and our allies.
If you have any questions about this email please do not hesitate in contacting me & I look forward to seeing you on Saturday.
Mahalo nui loa!
Michael Golojuch, Jr. (He/Him/His)
LGBT Caucus of the Democratic Party of Hawai’i
LGBT Caucus 2021 Legislative Priorities
- Getting the State to fund/secure Homeless Youth Shelters across the State (homeless unaccompanied minors) HB 282
- Expanding gender markers on birth certificates: SB 281 & HB 1231
- Removal of statute of limitations for survivors of sexual abuse as children SB 163, SB 833 & HB 570 – Criminal Charges SB 381
- Allowing minors to access health care for HIV & PrEP without parental consent SB 25 &
No bills were introduced for these 2 priorities due to the historic economic depression that the State is facing due to the COVID pandemic.
- Health centers for the neighbor islands that include mental health services with access for LGBTQIA+ (youth & adult)
- Establish the Hawaii State Commission on the Status of the LGBTQ+ Community