Have Your Voice Heard – May Meeting
May LGBT Caucus Meeting
Voting: Name Change or Bylaws Updates
Victory Institute Fellowship & Trainings
To RUN for office or RUN a campaign?
I have gotten a couple of inquiries and YES we do allow proxies for LGBT Caucus members that are not able to make this Saturday’s meeting, where a quorum of 15 members are required to be present for voting. Members may submit their proxy to establish quorum ONLY. (Art. 5, Section 3) Since proxies cannot vote, all proxies held by the Chair of the Caucus, as the Chair does not vote except to break a tie.(Art. 5, Section 3) Since proxies cannot vote, all proxies held by the Chair of the Caucus, as the Chair does not vote except to break a tie.
At this past Saturday’s SCC meeting Stephanie Ohigashi and I were confirmed as the Co-chairs for the 2022 Democratic Party of Hawai‘i’s State Convention. The 2022 DPH Convention will be anchored on Maui. There will be more details as we move forward.
If you want to help out we are looking for volunteers to help plan the convention so if you are interested please click here for more information and to apply.
May Caucus Meeting Info
Reminder the May meeting is this Saturday, May 15th at 10 AM, where we will be voting on the name change for the Caucus as well as the By-Law changes, registration is required and to be eligible to vote one needs to be:
- A registered voter in the state of Hawai‘i,
- An enrolled member of the Democratic Party of Hawai‘i, AND
- A member of the LGBT Caucus
Agenda – click here for the pdf document
If you have not already done so please complete the Name Change Survey – click here to fill out the survey. Feel free to share the survey with other members of the LGBTQIA+ community and our allies.
Vice Chair Openings
Reminder as stated in a previous email we now are accepting self-nominations for the following positions (job descriptions are in the application form):
- 1st Vice-Chair of the LGBT Caucus;
- Vice-Chair for Membership;
- Vice-Chair for Communications; &
- Vice-Chair for Fundraising
Requirements to apply for any of these four (4) positions:
- Fill out this application form. (All information provided is for internal use only and will only be shared with the Steering Committee members.)
- Be a Member of the Democrat Party of Hawai’i:
- Member of the LGBT Caucus: (reminder that just because you are receiving this email does not guarantee that you are an enrolled member of the Caucus);
- Registered voter in the state of Hawai’i ( Individuals that are not registered to vote in the state of Hawai’i can be appointed but according the Bylaws of the Democratic Party of Hawai’i will become a non-voting member of the Steering Committee. )
The nomination process is as follows:
ALL applications are due by 11:59 pm HST on May 16, 2021.
All completed applications will then be reviewed by the entire Steering Committee and they will vote on these appointments.
Should you have any questions about the process please respond to this email.Click here to apply.2021 Legislative Recap
The LGBTQIA+ focused bills and resolutions that passed this session:
- HB 282 – Emergency shelters for unaccompanied minors (LGBT Caucus Priority when the 2021 session started, our complete list is at the bottom of this email);
- HB 1096 – Parentage Taskforce to address the needs of LGBTQIA+ parents dealing the birth certificate;
- HB 1107 – To help address cyber bullying; &
- HCR 162 – Requires DHS, PSD, DOH, DOE & Judiciary to create a plan to account for LGBTQIA+ youth in the different state systems
As usual the Caucus supported other bills and resolutions and for a complete listing of the ones that survived till Conference please review the LGBT Caucus Bill & Resolution Report.
We are going to be offering a training on June 7th at 6:00 pm called “Sine Die – Now What”. The training is open to any member of the Democratic Party of Hawai’i and it will cover what one needs to do now that the legislative session is over and what to do to prepare for the 2nd year of the biennium. To register for the training click here.
Victory Institute Fellowship
The Victory Institute is offering the Victory Empowerment Fellowship, a fellowships are for LGBTQIA+ people of color who are interested in running for political office or serving as a campaign manager (no specific timeline required). The Victory Institute will provide each fellow with complimentary registration to Victory Institute’s Candidate & Campaign Training and the International LGBTQ Leaders Conference. Each fellow is also matched with two (2) elected officials that serve as their mentors for the duration of the program.
Applications for 2021 are due May 30th – if you planning on applying and would like recommendation please contact me at email@example.com.
For anyone who may not be interested in the fellowship, the Victory Institute is actively accepting applications for the Candidate & Campaign Trainings, as well.
Western Regional Bootcamp
Postponed – we will send out information when it has been rescheduled.
If you have any questions about this email please do not hesitate in contacting me & I look forward to seeing you on Saturday, May 15th.
Mahalo nui loa!
Michael Golojuch, Jr. (He/Him/His)
LGBT Caucus of the Democratic Party of Hawai’i
* * * * *
PAID FOR BY THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY OF HAWAI‘I, PO BOX 2041, HONOLULU, HI 96805
NOTICE: This solicitation is made on behalf of the Democratic Party of Hawai‘i (DPH) for its federal fund. Federal law requires us to use our best efforts to obtain and report the name, mailing address, occupation and employer of individuals whose contributions aggregate in excess of $200 for the year. Contributions are not tax deductible. Contributions from individuals are limited to $10,000 per year combined to state, district and local Party committees. Contributions from qualified Federal PACs are limited to $5,000 per year combined to state, district, and local party committees Contributions from corporations, labor organizations, federal government contractors, foreign nationals, or contributions made in the name of another are prohibited.