April 9th Caucus Update
Updated Proposed Bylaw Changes
April Caucus Meeting
Name Change Survey
Request For Support – O’ahu
Happy Aloha Friday!
The Steering Committee has voted to replace the proposed Caucus Bylaw changes with this new updated version. We will present them at the April meeting and have a vote on them at the May meeting. As you can see below we are going to have a very full April meeting and we hope that you can join us.
Mahalo to everyone that submitted testimony in support of the bills and/or resolutions that had hearings this week.
Remember to you can check the status of the bills and resolutions that the LGBT Caucus is tracking by clicking on this link: LGBT Caucus Bill Tracking Report – this report is updated regularly even if an email is not sent out.
April Caucus Meeting
We will be meeting on Saturday, April 17, 2021 at 10:00 AM HST via Zoom.
Items on the April Agenda:
- Recap of the Steering Committee meeting with ratification votes on:
- 2021 Legislative Update
- Review on how the LGBT Caucus selects legislative priorities
- Caucus name change update
- Presentation on the proposed Caucus Bylaw changes
- The creation of the 3 new Vice-chair Positions and setting the deadline to apply
- Review of the process for voting for the May meeting – (to be eligible to vote one needs to be a registered voter in the state of Hawai’i, member of the Democratic Party of Hawai’i and a member of the LGBT Caucus)
- Update from the ad hoc committee
- Request for support to oppose the appointment of a retired Honolulu police officer to Honolulu Police Commission
- Update on the June/Pride FUNdraiser – the LGBT Caucus’s 20th Anniversary
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 956 7990 6596
One tap mobile
+13462487799,,95679906596#,,,,*246163# US (Houston)
+16699006833,,95679906596#,,,,*246163# US (San Jose)
Dial by your location
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
Meeting ID: 956 7990 6596
Caucus Name Change Survey
If you have not already done so please complete the Name Change Survey – click here to fill out the survey. Feel free to share the survey with other members of the LGBTQIA+ community and our allies.
Request for Support – O’ahu
We received a request to pass this information along to you all. The LGBT Caucus has not taken an official position on the request below so the will be no testimony submitted on behalf of the Caucus until we vote on this subject at our April meeting. However if you are inclined to speak out please do so. If you have any questions about this please contact Cathy or Jess at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you haven’t heard yet, Mayor Blangiardi nominated a retired Honolulu police officer to the commission. It gets worse: the nominee’s long-term spouse is a current lieutenant in the Honolulu Police Department. We are really concerned about this nomination and we’re working on a plan to fight his confirmation. But we’ll need your help–we truly can’t do it alone.
Below are a few of ways you, your group, or others you know can get involved right now:
- Call and e-mail your City Councilmember: click here for Councilmembers’ contact information
- Tell them why you are concerned about this nomination, and
- Request that they oppose the nominee’s confirmation
- If you e-mail your Councilmember, CC the rest of the Council to make sure they also get the message.
- The City Council meets on Wednesday, 4/14/21, at 10:00am (click here for the agenda), and the confirmation is up for its first reading (click here for the resolution page).
- Submit written testimony (click here) and/or submit oral testimony. Check the Oral Testimony section (bottom of page 1) in the City Council meeting agenda for more information on how to testify live. City Council recommends that you register 24 hours in advance of the meeting to testify orally.
- Tell the City Council why you’re concerned about the nomination.
- In order to ensure the nominee is asked legitimate questions (as opposed to softball questions), tell the City Council what you want Councilmembers to ask during the confirmation hearings.
- Get Involved With Us!
- HPC Taskforce is a small hui and we can use any/all the help you’re able and willing to offer. From digital content creation to coalition building and everything in between: help us help our community.
- We meet biweekly. Our next meeting is Tuesday, 4/20/21, at 6:30pm. E-mail us at email@example.com you’re interested in joining us. And if you can’t meet with us but still want to get involved, e-mail us anyway!
Stay Tuned – We’ll be following up with more action steps for the friends and family in your life that don’t have much time to spare!
Our local government and government agencies belong to us, and we have faith that our community can right the ship. We’re looking forward to working together on this fight.
All our best – Cathy and Jess
HPC Taskforce – E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org IG: @hpctaskforce
ENDIf you have any questions about this email please do not hesitate in contacting me.
Mahalo nui loa!
Michael Golojuch, Jr. (He/Him/His)
LGBT Caucus of the Democratic Party of Hawai’i
Training to Submit Testimony
Have YOUR voice heard – watch this training on how to support the issues that matter to YOU!
LGBT Caucus 2021 Legislative Priorities
- Getting the State to fund/secure Homeless Youth Shelters across the State (homeless unaccompanied minors) HB 282
- Expanding gender markers on birth certificates: SB 281 & HB 1231
- Removal of statute of limitations for survivors of sexual abuse as children SB 163, SB 833 & HB 570 – Criminal Charges SB 381
- Allowing minors to access health care for HIV & PrEP without parental consent SB 25 &
No bills were introduced for these 2 priorities due to the historic economic depression that the State is facing due to the COVID pandemic.
- Health centers for the neighbor islands that include mental health services with access for LGBTQIA+ (youth & adult)
- Establish the Hawaii State Commission on the Status of the LGBTQ+ Community
* * * * *
PAID FOR BY THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY OF HAWAI‘I, PO BOX 2041, HONOLULU, HI 96805
NOTICE: This solicitation is made on behalf of the Democratic Party of Hawai‘i (DPH) for its federal fund. Federal law requires us to use our best efforts to obtain and report the name, mailing address, occupation and employer of individuals whose contributions aggregate in excess of $200 for the year. Contributions are not tax deductible. Contributions from individuals are limited to $10,000 per year combined to state, district and local Party committees. Contributions from qualified Federal PACs are limited to $5,000 per year combined to state, district, and local party committees Contributions from corporations, labor organizations, federal government contractors, foreign nationals, or contributions made in the name of another are prohibited.