Presenting the Stonewall Caucus (formerly LGBT Caucus) of the DPH
We are now the…
At the May 15, 2021 meeting we voted to change our name to Stonewall Caucus of the Democratic Party of Hawai‘i as well as amend our Bylaws to reflect this change, add new seats to the Steering Committee and expand our Mission Statement. Click here to review all the amendments that passed at the meeting.
I would like to say MAHALO NUI LOA to everyone that came to the meeting and to all those that responded to name change survey. With this name change and the new tagline – we acknowledge our community and Caucus’s history while looking toward the future. We began this process to be more inclusive and I believe this decision does that.
When anyone asks “Why Stonewall?” let them know – Stonewall is in reference to the 1969 Stonewall Riots that took place in New York City outside of the Stonewall Inn. These riots began the modern fight for justice and equality for the LGBTQIA+ community across the United States and around the world.
Here is our placeholder logo as begin the process of branding ourselves as the Stonewall Caucus of the Democratic Party of Hawai‘i.
June Caucus Meeting Info
We will be meeting on Saturday, June 19th at 10:00 am via Zoom.
We are offering a training on June 7th at 6:00 pm called “Sine Die – Now What”. The training is open to any member of the Democratic Party of Hawai’i and it will cover what one needs to do now that the legislative session is over and what to do to prepare for the 2nd year of the biennium. To register for the training click here.
Vice Chair Openings
Reminder as stated in a previous email we now are accepting self-nominations for the following positions (job descriptions are in the application form):
- 1st Vice-Chair of the LGBT Caucus;
- Vice-Chair for Membership;
- Vice-Chair for Communications; &
- Vice-Chair for Fundraising
Requirements to apply for any of these four (4) positions:
- Fill out this application form. (All information provided is for internal use only and will only be shared with the Steering Committee members.)
- Be a Member of the Democrat Party of Hawai’i:
- Member of the LGBT Caucus: (reminder that just because you are receiving this email does not guarantee that you are an enrolled member of the Caucus);
- Registered voter in the state of Hawai’i (Individuals that are not registered to vote in the state of Hawai’i can be appointed but according the Bylaws of the Democratic Party of Hawai’i they will become a non-voting member of the Steering Committee. )
The nomination process is as follows:
ALL applications are due by 11:59 pm HST on May 16, 2021.
All completed applications will then be reviewed by the entire Steering Committee and they will vote on these appointments.
Should you have any questions about the process please respond to this email.Click here to apply.
2021 Legislative Recap
The LGBTQIA+ focused bills and resolutions that passed this session:
- HB 282 – Emergency shelters for unaccompanied minors (LGBT Caucus Priority when the 2021 session started, our complete list is at the bottom of this email);
- HB 1096 – Parentage Taskforce to address the needs of LGBTQIA+ parents dealing the birth certificate;
- HB 1107 – To help address cyber bullying; &
- HCR 162 – Requires DHS, PSD, DOH, DOE & Judiciary to create a plan to account for LGBTQIA+ youth in the different state systems
As usual the Caucus supported other bills and resolutions and for a complete listing of the ones that survived till Conference please review the LGBT Caucus Bill & Resolution Report.
Victory Institute Fellowship
The Victory Institute is offering the Victory Empowerment Fellowship, a fellowships are for LGBTQIA+ people of color who are interested in running for political office or serving as a campaign manager (no specific timeline required). The Victory Institute will provide each fellow with complimentary registration to Victory Institute’s Candidate & Campaign Training and the International LGBTQ Leaders Conference. Each fellow is also matched with two (2) elected officials that serve as their mentors for the duration of the program.
Applications for 2021 are due May 30th – if you planning on applying and would like recommendation please respond to this email.
For anyone who may not be interested in the fellowship, the Victory Institute is actively accepting applications for the Candidate & Campaign Trainings, as well.
Western Regional Bootcamp
Postponed – we will send out information when it has been rescheduled.
If you have any questions about this email please do not hesitate in contacting me & I look forward to seeing you on Saturday, May 15th.
Mahalo nui loa!
Michael Golojuch, Jr. (He/Him/His)
Stonewall Caucus of the Democratic Party of Hawai’i
* * * * *
PAID FOR BY THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY OF HAWAI‘I, PO BOX 2041, HONOLULU, HI 96805
NOTICE: This solicitation is made on behalf of the Democratic Party of Hawai‘i (DPH) for its federal fund. Federal law requires us to use our best efforts to obtain and report the name, mailing address, occupation and employer of individuals whose contributions aggregate in excess of $200 for the year. Contributions are not tax deductible. Contributions from individuals are limited to $10,000 per year combined to state, district and local Party committees. Contributions from qualified Federal PACs are limited to $5,000 per year combined to state, district, and local party committees Contributions from corporations, labor organizations, federal government contractors, foreign nationals, or contributions made in the name of another are prohibited.