LGBT Caucus Reverses Course on SCR 161
Statement on SCR 161/SR 126
Testimony Needed For Priority Bills
Name Change Survey
The Steering Committee of the LGBT Caucus met last night. There was an issue with the Zoom account which was rectified thanks to our Secretary Lynn! To ensure that everyone had access to the new link we posted it to our social media platforms and unfortunately 20 minutes into the meeting we were Zoom bombed (I hope you never have to experience one of those) The meeting was recessed and a new link was sent out to those that were in the meeting at that time.
During the meeting the Steering Committee did the following:
- Reversed our position on SCR 161 and SR 126 – click here to read the full statement.
- Established an ad hoc committee to meet and present options for procedures for better communication inside and outside of the Caucus.
- As required by our by-laws voted on, for discussion purposes only, the new proposed changes to our by-laws. This version reflects the input that was provided by members to the Caucus.
- Discussed the creation of a Vice Chair position to ensure transgender representation on the Steering Committee. The topic was tabled and will be brought up at the April Caucus meeting.
Please note that all of the actions that took place during the Steering Committee meeting with the exception of the By-laws vote will be brought to the April 17th Caucus meeting for a ratification vote.
The By-laws will ONLY be presented with an explanation at the April meeting. They will be discussed and voted on at the May 15th meeting along with the name change for the Caucus.
Supportive Testimony NEEDED for these
Bills & Resolution
Please do not just rely on the LGBT Caucus for submitting testimony for the bills and resolutions that we are supporting (or opposing). If you need a refresher there is the “How To Submit Testimony” training at the end of this email. These are listed in order of hearings.
HB 570 – LGBT Caucus Priority Bill SUPPORT Expands the time period by which a civil action for childhood sexual abuse may be initiated. Extends the period during which a victim of childhood sexual abuse may bring an otherwise time-barred action against the victim’s abuser or a legal entity having a duty of care. Allows recovery of treble damages in certain circumstances. Provides for training on trauma-informed response. Applies retroactively to 4/24/2020.
Hearing Date: Tuesday, 04-06-21 9:45 AM
Deadline to submit: Monday, 04-05-21 9:45 AM (after this your testimony will be marked late)
SB 157 – SUPPORT Authorizes the issuance of a civil license to solemnize marriage and allows solemnization by any individual at least eighteen years of age.
Hearing Date: Tuesday, 04-06-21 2:00 PM
Deadline to submit: Monday, 04-05-21 2:00 PM (after this your testimony will be marked late)
SCR 164 – SUPPORT URGING THE UNITED STATES SENATE AND PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN TO ENACT THE PROTECTING THE RIGHT TO ORGANIZE ACT. (PRO Act)
Hearing Date: Tuesday, 04-06-21 10:00 AM
Deadline to submit: Monday, 04-05-21 10:00 AM (after this your testimony will be marked late)
LGBT Caucus Bill Tracking Report
This report is updated regularly even if an email is not sent out.
Caucus Name Change Survey
If you have not already done so please complete the Name Change Survey – click here to fill out the survey. Feel free to share the survey with other members of the LGBTQIA+ community and our allies.
Mahalo nui loa!
Michael Golojuch, Jr. (He/Him/His)
LGBT Caucus of the Democratic Party of Hawai’i
Training to Submit Testimony
Have YOUR voice heard – watch this training on how to support the issues that matter to YOU!
LGBT Caucus 2021 Legislative Priorities
- Getting the State to fund/secure Homeless Youth Shelters across the State (homeless unaccompanied minors) HB 282
- Expanding gender markers on birth certificates: SB 281 & HB 1231
- Removal of statute of limitations for survivors of sexual abuse as children SB 163, SB 833 & HB 570 – Criminal Charges SB 381
- Allowing minors to access health care for HIV & PrEP without parental consent SB 25 &
No bills were introduced for these 2 priorities due to the historic economic depression that the State is facing due to the COVID pandemic.
- Health centers for the neighbor islands that include mental health services with access for LGBTQIA+ (youth & adult)
- Establish the Hawaii State Commission on the Status of the LGBTQ+ Community
* * * * *
PAID FOR BY THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY OF HAWAI‘I, PO BOX 2041, HONOLULU, HI 96805
NOTICE: This solicitation is made on behalf of the Democratic Party of Hawai‘i (DPH) for its federal fund. Federal law requires us to use our best efforts to obtain and report the name, mailing address, occupation and employer of individuals whose contributions aggregate in excess of $200 for the year. Contributions are not tax deductible. Contributions from individuals are limited to $10,000 per year combined to state, district and local Party committees. Contributions from qualified Federal PACs are limited to $5,000 per year combined to state, district, and local party committees Contributions from corporations, labor organizations, federal government contractors, foreign nationals, or contributions made in the name of another are prohibited.