Happy Pride Month
Happy International Pride Month!
The Stonewall (formerly the LGBT) Caucus is celebrating our 20th anniversary this month along with several LGBTQIA+ history making anniversaries like the 52nd anniversary for the Stonewall Riots to landmark Supreme Court rulings. The most recent ruling being Bostock v. Clayton County in which the Court held that Title VII (Civil Rights Act of 1964) protects employees against discrimination based on their sexual orientation and/or gender identity.
When we struck out we were the 1st caucus for the Democratic Party of Hawai‘i and now there are 7 additional caucuses. We were founded during the dark times after the disastrous 1998 attack on Hawai‘i’s LGBTQIA+ community’s civil rights. We took that loss hard but powered on and since then the Stonewall Caucus led the effort to ban conversion therapy and we assisted with:
- Ensuring that sexual orientation, gender identity and expression are included in all of Hawai‘i’s non-discrimination laws;
- Passage of Civil Unions (2011) & Marriage Equality (2013);
- Ensuring the transgender and non-binary community members had access to health care (2016);
- Banning ‘gay and trans panic’ as an affirmative defense (2019);
- Expanding gender markers on State IDs and Driver’s Licenses (2019); and
- Ensuring that unhoused unaccompanied minors would be able to access emergency shelters in the state of Hawai‘i (2021), 40% of these minors identify as members of the LGBTQIA+ community.
Even with all these victories there is still more to be done to ensure justice and equality for Hawai‘i’s LGBTQIA+ community. We hope that you will take this milestone and Pride month to join the Stonewall Caucus.
To help move justice forward, as well as to celebrate and honor Pride month we have 3 separate events scheduled:
Sine Die, Now What?
We are offering a training on June 7th at 6:00 pm called “Sine Die – Now What”. The training is open to any member of the Democratic Party of Hawai’i and it will cover what one needs to do now that the legislative session is over and what to do to prepare for the 2nd year of the biennium. To register for the training click here.
June Caucus Meeting Info
We are meeting on Saturday, June 19th (Juneteenth) at 10:00 am via Zoom.
Our presenters are going to be Miss Hawai’i Samantha Neyland & Hawai’i Health and Harm Reduction Center. Then we will have our regular meeting.
Join Zoom Meeting:
Meeting ID: 956 7990 6596
One tap mobile
+13462487799,,95679906596#,,,,*246163# US (Houston)
+16699006833,,95679906596#,,,,*246163# US (San Jose)
Closing out Pride month with:
We are hosting ‘Zoom for Pride’ an on-line dance party on Saturday, June 26th at 7:00 pm HST to support the following non-profits representing the following counties:
- Kaua’i – YWCA of Kaua’i
- O’ahu – Hawai’i Health & Harm Reduction Center
- Maui – Maui AIDS Foundation
- Hawai’i – Hawai’i Island HIV/AIDS Foundation
Your donation will be split evenly between all four of these wonderful organizations. They selected because they provide essential social services throughout the year for Hawai’i’s LGBTQIA+ community.
Facebook eventHave a happy and fun filled Pride month and we hope to see you at least one of these on-line events.
Mahalo nui loa!
Michael Golojuch, Jr. (He/Him/His)
ChairStonewall Caucus of the Democratic Party of Hawai’i
52nd of the Stonewall Riots
51st of the Pride Marches
20th for the Stonewall Caucus of the DPH
and the following US Supreme Court rulings:
18th of Lawrence v. Texas
8th of Windsor v. US
6th of Obergefell v. Hodges
1st of Bostock v. Clayton County